Thursday, August 04, 2011

Terms of Endearment

I’ll bet my over-sized maternity pants on this... most married couples would probably call each other Mommy and Daddy or Mama and Papa or Nanay and Tatay the moment they become parents.

We are no exception. Though we tried to avoid this, we just gave in one day and braced ourselves to the idea that we are not just “Loves” and “Partners” anymore, but also “Mommy” and “Daddy” to each other.

Before we were married, we agreed never to call each other Mommy and Daddy like how we want our children to call us because we heard that doing so would kill the romance in the relationship. We called each other either "Partner" (we're more used to this because this is how we call each other since college, we were thesis partners kasi) or "Love".

But as days pass, calling each other "Mommy" and "Daddy" became instinctive of us especially when the little girl is around. And in fact, I’m beginning to like calling the Hubby, Daddy - before that, Didi - the way our daughter pronounces it. I find it malambing in some ways. ^_^

As far as I am concerned, I see nothing wrong in calling your spouse the way your children address them. Terms of endearment have no rules. As long as the person is comfortable being called that way... go lang, indulge yourself! I even know a couple who calls each other “Kuri”, short for ‘kuripot’. That is more absurd di ba?

And no... it doesn’t destroy, nor even wane the romance in the relationship... I can attest to that. ^_~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...