Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On Supporting Parents

I just had a heated argument with 2 of my officemates. I hate it when sometimes a simple conversation about a certain topic leads to an argument.

The topic was if children should support their parents even if they already have a family of their own.

My say is simple, whether the child does or does not have a family, it is to the child’s capacity and/or good heart if he/she is willing to support the parents. Otherwise, children should not be forced into taking care of their parents. They can help all they want as long as they don’t feel obligated.

I may sound like an arrogant, disrespectful and ungrateful human being but this is what I believe in.

I know that the topic is somewhat broad because there are too many factors to be considered like what if the parents are sickly, too old to fend for themselves, etc. Well, that’s a different story but still, it should be the children’s kindness and love for their parents that would drive them into helping their parents and never that they are forced to doing it.

I guess the terms responsibility and obligation are the key words.

I often hear my Nanay say that she worked hard to put me to school so I can have a good future because that was her responsibility to me as my parent. She is firm to say that children do not have to feel that they are obligated to take care of their parents, they do it because it is their will. And I respect her more for that.

I can’t stand hearing parents say that they are working hard for their children so their children can help them and their family in return, para “maiahon sa kahirapan”. It seems to me that they are “investing” instead of doing their responsibility to their children.

By the way, I support my mother not because she asks nor obliges me to. I do it because she raised me well and that I love her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...