Friday, August 19, 2011

The Games I, As A Child, Played

During our afternoon break yesterday in the office, the officemates and I talked about traditional children's games that we all played and enjoyed before the electronic gadgets that children nowadays are so hooked into have dawned.

I remember that there was a small rice field a few blocks from our house that became our playground during the harvest season. We play all sorts of games taught to us by the elders.

photo borrowed from wikipilipinas.org

We did come up with some games of our own, too (but please ask me not for the old me has forgotten what we used to call them).

Some of my playmates’ parents even participated. They sometimes coach or were the ones preparing our playground for us in the case of Patintero.

All the children in the neighborhood with the same age group actively participated. Everybody seemed to know each other. We have built a strong sense of camaraderie and sportsmanship by playing together.

Suddenly, I felt sad for the future generations. I wish parents and schools would impart these games to them. I hope there would be adequate space and safer places for them to indulge in these games.

Of course there are sports that they can involve themselves into like basketball, football and the likes but these Filipino traditional games would bring them closer to their heritage. These are nonetheless, sariling atin! They speak of our culture. They are a part of our culture. ^_^

Why do I feel so emotional about it? Because I once had the pleasure of experiencing what outdoor fun really is. Yes, I got filthy, sunburned, had scratches. I even went home in the afternoon covered with dirt and sweat but I had so much fun! 

I still smile when I recall in my memory how it was then... when I remember how pure and genuine our laughter was. 

I’m not saying that children these days are not having as much fun as we did during our time. It’s just that in my viewpoint, most of them lack outdoor activities that can help them stay physically fit. Not to mention their social development.

Okay, let’s just blame global warming for that. ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...