Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Passion For (Kiddie) Books ^_^

I can’t remember having a lot of toys when I was a little girl. Nanay would rather buy me books. I had toys but they are mostly given by relatives and friends.

But I had so many books, mostly board books. Nanay will delight in seeing me read them. She would bring me to a bookstore and allow me to pick a book I like, then listens to me as I try in my learning years to read a few lines.

Then came a time when I took apart some of them and turned them into a makeshift house for my Barbie, which Nanay finally bought me when I was 7. The bigger books, I used as a cutting board when I was already in High School. I know... it was so barbaric to ruin books like that! I deserve to be punished.

As I think of the books I had back then, I regret what I did. I should’ve taken good care of them. I should’ve appreciated them more! Lalo na ngayon, ang mamahal na kaya nila! ^_^ I should've kept them well for Amber's use. Had I've been wiser then. 

So I pledge that I will try to impart the values of a book to my child... that I will raise my child to be a booklover and a reader in general.

Sure, you can read thru more convenient ways with technology’s aid, I’ve totally nothing against it, I do it most of the times. But for me, nothing still beats the feeling of turning over pages after pages. Yeah, it takes a lot of space to store them but don’t you just feel good as you look at them neatly stacked in a bookshelf? Di ba? Di ba? ^_^ 


5 comments:

  1. i agree. it's always nice to curl up on the sofa and get lost in the world of the characters in a book. and bedtime reading is a great bonding activity for me and my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree sis,if only we knew back then! sa age na 'to na may e-book na,i still love the smell of the new book,weird pero nae-excite ako.haha! oh well,time na magcollect ka na ulit for little Amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @pamela - you bet! though my tot prefers being read to, the moment i step in the house from work. ok na din, kakawala pa rin ng pagod. ^_^

    @joan - tumpak! you just reminded me, i haven't been to booksale lately. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one guilty momma here :)
    Although my husband is a book reader, i am not. i prefer downloading those that are free to save money and hmmm space. we live in a tiny apt kc. Kwawa din ang mga books kung hindi maalagaan. Books that i have read so far can be counted with Akira's two hands. hehehe. if others read books na prang dinaanan ng bagyo, yung mga books ko prang hindi ba tlaga nababasa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's ok sis. you have your reasons and tama ka naman, sayang talaga pag di naalagaan, at least yung books mo, alagang-alaga, parang preserved kasi mukhang bago. hahaha! peace!
    makibasa ka kay khan para tipid na din kasi sha lang bibili books. hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...